SOFR, So Liquid
SOFR futures achieved numerous records in February, as deepening liquidity in this very young product continues to attract new users.
- Record ADV: 31K contracts/day, +70% MoM
- Record open interest: 134K contracts ($436B notional*) on Mar 1, +167% since Jan 3
- Record single-day volume: 61K contracts on Feb 28
- Record intercommodity spreads (ICS) ADV: 1.5K contracts/day, +289% MoM
- Record participation: 120+ global firms, with a balanced mix of buyside, banks and prop trading firms
- Record large OI holders: 78 as reported in the CFTC COT report dated Feb 19
- Cumulative volume: Over 2M contracts since May 7, 2018 launch ($1.8T notional, $59M DV01)
Reminder: Packs and bundles will be enabled in Three-Month SOFR futures on March 11, 2019.
Hedging Repo Exposure in the Treasury Basis with SOFR
With bilateral Treasury overnight repo data accounting for ~55% of the trade activity on which the Secured Overnight Financing Rate (SOFR) benchmark is based, SOFR provides a fair proxy for Treasury overnight repo exposure.
Read how CME One-Month SOFR futures can be used as a cost-effective tool for hedging repo exposure.
Trading Money Market Spreads with SOFR, FF and EDs
As SOFR's use as the underlying reference rate in cash market applications approaches $65B** and derivatives contracts use has grown, so too has demand for an efficient way to manage basis risk between SOFR and established benchmarks like EFFR and LIBOR.
Learn how Intercommodity Spreads (ICS) between SOFR, Fed Funds and Eurodollar futures offer an efficient tool for trading basis spreads between U.S. Money Market rates, with reduced leg risk and up to 85% margin offsets.
CME SONIA Futures Continue to Grow
CME SONIA futures volume grew 23% to 8,600 contracts/day in February, bolstered by an increasingly diverse pool of market participants.
Open interest reached a new high of 14.3K contracts on Mar 1.
2-Yr Note Liquidity Remains Strong with 31% Growth
In the seven weeks since the minimum price increment was reduced to 1/8 of 1/32nd:
- Average top of book depth of over 3,300 contracts
- The average top of book spread has traded at the new minimum tick for more than 95% of the trading day
- 2-Yr volume as a % of Treasury futures volume was 16.7% vs. 12.7% in 2018, growth of 31%
- February ADV of 1.075M was an all-time record
Record Open Interest in Eurodollar Options
Open interest in Eurodollar options has grown 30% YTD, reaching a new high of 53.7M contracts on Feb 28. A record 35.8M is held in quarterly/serial contracts.
Track the concentration of put/call positions by expiration and strike with the OI Heatmap tool.
Data as of February 28, 2019, unless otherwise specified
* Notional shown for illustrative purposes only, computed based on the value of an equivalent money market instrument with the same dollar-value-of-basis-point (DV01)
** Source: Bloomberg
View the current version and an archive of the Rates Recap online at cmegroup.com/ratesrecap.
Helping the World Advance: CME Group comprises four Designated Contract Markets (DCMs). Further information on each exchange's rules and product listings can be found by clicking on the links to CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX.
Futures trading is not suitable for all investors, and involves risk of loss. Futures are a leverage instrument, and because only a percentage of a contract's value is required to trade, it is possible to lose more than the amount of money initially deposited for a futures product.
CME Group is the trademark of CME Group, Inc.
The Globe logo, Globex® and CME® are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Inc.
CBOT® is the trademark of the Board of Trade of the City of Chicago.
NYMEX, New York Mercantile Exchange, and ClearPort are trademarks of New York Mercantile Exchange. Inc.
COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc
© 2019 CME Group Inc. All rights reserved.
This information is reproduced by permission of CME Group Inc. and its affiliates under license. CME Group Inc. and its affiliates accept no liability or responsibility for the information contained herein, including but not limited to the currency, accuracy and/or completeness of this information, and delays, interruptions, errors or omissions. This information is an unofficial copy and may not reflect the official and accurate version. For the definitive and up-to-date version of any of this information, please see www.cmegroup.com.
If you would like further information, please contact CME Group.